Wednesday, July 13, 2005

London

They say it was inevitable. That everyone who supported the USA in their operations in Iraq and Afghanistan would eventually have to face their very own 9/11. And that innocent people would be condemned to die a sudden needless death because a small manic section of society is hell bent on proving their point.

I saw 9/11 on the telly and I couldnt sleep properly for days. I had my telly on til 4 every morning. But it was still far away and eventually I got over it, as did the rest of the world, and moved on with our lives. Even during the Mumbai bombing I was far away in the relative safety of Bahrain. But this happened so close to home. And the places that they showed on television, Kings Cross, Aldgate, Russell Square, were places that I would go every other weekend. And the reality of the whole thing hits me because I couldve been one of those unlucky people.

And perhaps now I have realized the true meaning of terrorism. Because the fear is almost tangible. You look at everything differently. Every car looks suspiciously parked and every garbage bin is a security threat. And the helicopters that keep hovering around and the police presence on just about every street add to the eerie and uneasy atmosphere.

And people in London, like people in New York, will never be able to forget this. They will never be able to roam free at 4am in Leicester Square and take the nightbus or tube back and not feel afraid. The world famous big red London bus will never conjure images of the English way of life. Those images have been shattered and replaced by a grim and desolate picture of the Number 30 with its top floor blown off.

1 Comments:

Blogger mindless_ramblings... said...

totally agree with fear factor.
I mean, its like being on the show everyday!

But you know, all this is just a modern day jargon for something that we humans have been doing ever since the days of the dinosaurs.

Its just nowadays we do it with sophisticated machinary and call it terrorism.

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home